Retaining Wall Price Comparison
Retaining Wall Price Comparison – Which retaining wall type is the most economical to build?
We get asked this question a lot. First of all, let’s look at the different types of retaining wall and then the cost to build per m2 for each type.
There three main categories of retaining walls.
- Gravity Retaining Walls
- Cantilever Retaining walls
- Criblock Retaining Walls
- Reinforced earth retaining wall
Gravity Retaining walls Price Comparison
Gravity retaining wall uses the mass to the wall to act as the resistance to the retained earth. There are four main types.
- Gabion basket – Wire baskets filled with stone
- Interlocking concrete blocks
- Inclinded Interlocking blocks
- Masonry Walls
- Mass concrete walls
Cantilever Retaining Wall Prices
Cantilever retaining walls are L shape in their form. There are three main types.
- Pre-cast concrete
- Reinforced interlocking block
- Cast in-situ concrete
Criblock Retaining Wall Prices
Criblock retaining walls are built by the construction of timber or concrete frames. Each frame is locked into each other and filled with stone. There are two main types:
- Concrete Criblock
- Timber Criblock
Reinforced Earth Retaining Wall Costs
Reinforced earth retaining walls use the retained earth as the retaining structure. The earth is layer with geo-textile material between the layers that reinforce it.
There are many types of reinforced earth retaining walls. Geotechnical engineers design them as the soil type is important.
Retaining Wall Price Comparison Table
The table shows you the retaining wall price comparison of eight different types of retaining walls.
The prices are based on a retaining wall 100m long by 3m high. The prices have come from proposals for actual projects, The date of the proposals where from 2016 to 2018.
The price per m2 will change from location to location and the heights of the wall. As the wall increase in height the price per m2 will increase.
The other major factor is the scale of the work. The larger the project, the more competitive the price becomes as economies of scale help to lower the prices a little.
Whats Included and Excluded in The Rates?
The rates include:
- The wall units for example, concrete blocks, L shape units, criblock units, gabion baskets and stone fill for the criblock and gabion baskets.
- Delivery to site of the units within England and Wales.
- Concrete foundation including formwork, reinforcement and concrete
- Full Installation of the wall.
The rates exclude:
- Any site establishment works.
- Any access preparation works including hardstandings and the like to the site.
- Earthworks and Excavation works.
- Backfilling and earthwork finishing to the retaining wall except for the reinforced earth wall.
Which Type of Retaining Wall Is Best For You?
We can offer the following services:
- Retaining wall selection
- Retaining wall design including calculations
- Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules
Retaining wall design including calculations
Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules
Good ground conditions data is critical for the correct design of a retaining wall.
We can offer the following services:
- 2D and 3D drawings of the walls
- Wall design including calculations
- Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules.
Every project is different so we can only provide prices from a detailed conversation with you
Text or CALL 07896 246 224
Call Back or Ask a Question on Retaining Wall Price Comparison
Complete the form below to ask a question or request support. I normally answer questions and respond to requests as soon I notice the message.
Alternatively text or call me on 07896 246 224 or chat to me using the messenger pop up bot.
I can give you direction and support with anything described on this site. My background is civil engineering from building a civil engineering construction company from 1990 to 2005. I have practical experience of building a large range of structures.