Retaining Wall Price Comparison
Retaining Wall Price Comparison – Which retaining wall type is the most economical to build? We get asked this question a lot.
Firstly, we recommend you download our price comparison guide it will give you a more detailed overview of how to get a price for a retaining wall. Haven’t got time to read? Use the enquiry form on this page and we will build a budget for you.
Now let’s look at the different types of retaining wall.
There are two main categories of retaining walls.
- Gravity Retaining Walls
- Cantilever Retaining walls
Download Your Price Comparison Guide
Gravity Retaining walls Price Comparison
Gravity retaining wall uses the mass to the wall to act as the resistance to the retained earth. These are the main types:
- Gabion basket – Wire baskets filled with stone
- Interlocking concrete blocks
- Inclined Interlocking blocks
- Masonry Walls
- Mass concrete walls
Cantilever Retaining Wall Prices
Cantilever retaining walls are L shape in their form. There are a number of options :
- King Post
- L Shape Pre-cast concrete
- Reinforced interlocking block
- Reinforced masonry
- Cast in-situ concrete
Criblock Retaining Wall Prices
Criblock retaining walls are built by the construction of timber or concrete frames. Each frame is locked into each other and filled with stone. There are two main types:
- Concrete Criblock
- Timber Criblock
Reinforced Soil Retaining Wall Costs
Reinforced soil retaining walls use the retained earth as the retaining structure. The earth is layered with geo-textile material between the layers that reinforce it.
There are many types of reinforced soil retaining walls. Geotechnical engineers design them as the soil type is important.
Retaining Wall Price Comparison Table
The table shows you the retaining wall price comparison of eight different types of retaining walls.
The prices are based on a retaining wall 50m long. This was to give some scale for pricing. The prices are based on standard designs and a standard soil type. Please note the prices are only a guide. The true price of a retaining wall will depend on the final designed based on local site investigation information.
The price per m2 will change from location to location and with the scale of the project. Prices for walls less than 50m will go up.
The cost driver for the wall vary for the type of wall. For example the cost driver for gabion basket and criblock walls is the cost of the stone fill. This cost can change quite a lot depending on location.
Whats Included and Excluded in The Rates?
The rates include:
- The wall units for example, concrete blocks, L shape units, criblock units, gabion baskets and stone fill for the criblock and gabion baskets.
- Delivery to site of the units within England and Wales.
- Concrete foundation including formwork, reinforcement and concrete
- Full Installation of the wall.
The rates exclude:
- Any site establishment works.
- Any access preparation works including hardstandings and the like to the site.
- Earthworks and Excavation works.
- Excavation in hard ground.
- Excavation within the water table.
- Backfilling and earthwork finishing to the retaining wall except for the reinforced earth wall.
Which Type of Retaining Wall Is Best For You?
We can offer the following services:
- Retaining wall selection
- Retaining wall supply
- Retaining wall design including calculations
- Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules
Retaining wall design including calculations
Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules
Good ground conditions data is critical for the correct design of a retaining wall.
We can offer the following services:
- 2D and 3D drawings of the walls
- Wall design including calculations
- Development of working drawings and reinforcement schedules.
Every project is different so we can only provide prices from a detailed conversation with you
If you are looking for some support to select a retaining wall type or if you have questions got to contact us and complete our form .
Call Back or Ask a Question on Retaining Wall Price Comparison
Complete the form below to ask a question or request support. I normally answer questions and respond to requests as soon I notice the message.
I can give you direction and support with anything described on this site. My background is civil engineering from building a civil engineering construction company from 1990 to 2005. I have practical experience of building a large range of structures.